Parish Council and West Mercia Police provide free crime prevention kits to residents

Parish Council and West Mercia Police provide free crime prevention kits to residents

Ruyton XI Towns Parish Council has teamed up with West Mercia Police to deliver free SmartWater kits to all parish residents, as part of the “We Don’t Buy Crime” initiative.

" "

" "

What is SmartWater and how does it protect you?

SmartWater is a clear, odourless liquid, which glows under UV light. It allows residents to mark-up valuables in their home, and because each solution is a completely unique mix, recovered items can be traced and returned to their rightful owners if they are ever stolen.

SmartWater is a proven and effective crime prevention tool, which has a 100% conviction rate in a court of law when used as evidence. We Don’t Buy Crime areas that are protected with SmartWater also see an average 65% reduction in burglaries, as SmartWater is a highly effective deterrent against crime.

As part of the “We Don’t Buy Crime” initiative, the Parish Council will also receive “We Don’t Buy Crime”  “CRIMINALS BEWARE” signs which will be put up at strategic points around the parish to further deter criminals.

What will my SmartWater kit include?

Each kit will be pre-registered to your home and will include:

  • An explanatory letter
  • A SmartWater vial, pre-registered to your address
  • Large square window stickers and small weatherproof stickers – so criminals know your home is SmartWater protected

How have the kits been paid for?

Thanks to grant funding from West Mercia Police earlier in the year, we were able to purchase enough kits for 80% of households. Recently we decided to apply for funding to buy enough kits to ensure that every resident has the chance to protect their home with SmartWater. Overall, West Mercia Police has contributed 25% of the cost of the SmartWater kits, and the remaining 75% has been paid for with Parish Council contingency funds.

How are we distributing the kits?

We had initially hoped to distribute our first batch of kits through public registration events over the Easter holidays – but obviously the Covid-19 pandemic put a stop to those plans.

Luckily, our contacts in West Mercia Police got in touch and kindly offered to arrange for registration and postal distribution of our kits.

Each SmartWater kit will be safely pre-registered, and posted out to residents in line with Royal Mail general data protection regulations. If you wish to opt out of this initiative simply email WeDontBuyCrime@westmercia.pnn.police.uk and they will remove the kit/your record from the initiative.

When will I get my kit?

The SmartWater kits have now been collected by our contact at West Mercia Police, and they will be registered and posted out over the next month or so, you should receive your kit very soon!

My neighbours have received a kit, but I haven’t.

If this happens, please contact the Parish Council clerk, so we can check if a kit has already been registered and sent to your address. If not, one will be sent to you.

What do I need to do when I get my SmartWater kit?

Your SmartWater kit will be pre-registered for you, so when it arrives the first thing to do is place your stickers prominently at the front and rear of your property. The SmartWater stickers are the main deterrent to criminals. Now all you need to do is mark-up your valuables with a small dot of SmartWater. We advise you to take a photograph of the item of property and where you have marked it, keep this for your records just in case you need it at some time in the future.  Encourage your neighbours and fellow residents to do the same!

The important thing is to put up the stickers straight away while you remember.